The mission of the City of Pocatello Water Department is to provide an uninterrupted supply of safe, clean water 24 hours per day, 7 days per week. The employees who work in the Water Department take this mission very seriously.
The Water Department serves approximately 17,645 customers within the city limits and in portions of Bannock County. The Water Department personnel are responsible for operating and maintaining 291 miles of water pipe ranging in size from ½-inch diameter water services to 30-inch diameter water transmission mains. In addition, department personnel operate and maintain 21 water supply wells, 16 water storage tanks, 12 booster pumping stations and 47 pressure reducing valves. These facilities are located throughout the department service area, and supply over 5.5 billion gallons of water per year to the department's customers.
The city employees working in the Water Superintendent's Office coordinate and supervise the department's day-to-day activities. Their responsibilities include:
- Responding to customer inquiries
- Preparing, implementing and tracking the department's capital and operating budgets
- Maintaining and updating water system maps and records
- Planning and coordinating infrastructure expansion and replacement
- Ensuring that the department meets or exceeds all federal, state and local rules and regulations
- Enforcing department standards and specifications
- Making sure that the water is safe to drink